Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The Personal Touch of General Assembly

One of the Seven Marks of Discipleship that Chapel by the Sea of Fort Myers Beach, FL, has adopted is "Enjoy Spiritual Friendships."

General Assembly is not just about debating and voting.  It is also about enjoying spiritual friendships.  As an observer rather than a voting commissioner, that is what I enjoy the most about a General Assembly.

I get to see folks I met in college or seminary.  I see colleagues in ministry I worked with years ago.  My wife and I are looking forward to having lunch with someone who served as one of my Associate Pastors in my church in Miami, Florida.  We haven't seen each other since 2001, when we began to serve the US Navy as a Chaplain.  He recently accepted a pastorate in the Pittsburgh area.

There is more than socializing going on in these encounters. 

I spent time with one person I met in college.  We talked about how we are handling stewardship issues in the church and he introduced me to someone with the Presbyterian Foundation.  They have a new program they have not yet unveiled that will help us with online contributions and donations. 

Over breakfast yesterday, I met with three pastors and we shared some of our challenges each of us were facing in our congregation and shared suggestions with each other.

In the secular business world, we refer to this networking, but in the church it is being the Body of Christ together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment