Saturday, July 7, 2012

It Takes Thick Skin

The Presbyterian Outlook has written an excellent piece as a follow up on McCabe's resignation.  You can find that here:  http://www.pres-outlook.com/pcusa-reports/ga-2012/16996.html

The Outlook article raises questions I'd already pondered - just who in the world was criticizing the Vice Moderator so much that she resigned?  There were concerns about her being bullied and calls for the General Assembly to stand against it.  I surveyed the Internet and could not find much in harsh opposition.  Nor could the Outlook.  True, people had questions, but they were legitimate and carefully and appropriately voiced.  True, there were those who expressed opinions that she should face charges, but her very words invited judicial action against one who had signed a marriage license in a wedding that does not currently meet Presbyterian rules.

To be a Presbyterian pastor means you must have thick skin.  I am often criticized.  "Why did YOU make that decision?"  I didn't, the Session did, but I represent the Session and I know that people will blame (or praise) me for the actions of the group. 

This week I'll get comments, "How can you be against this or in favor of that?"  I'm not - that's General Assembly and I was just an observer this year - I didn't even get a vote!

"You made a mistake in that sermon."  Sorry - you're right, I won't do it again. 

A few months ago I faced harsh criticism because the Session did not hire a certain person to be the new Director of Christian Education.

Why?  Because I did not pass that person's name onto the Personnel Committee.  There were two reasons.  First, this person had not turned in an application.  Second, this person is a self-described atheist, and the position was that of the Director of Christian Education.  As such, she did not meet the qualifications.

There is no way the Session would have hired her, and those elders who knew of her interest, even without the application, all agreed this person did not meet the qualifications for the job.

It is strange, but I have paid a strong price for that.  I've felt bullied.  I've certainly been criticised.  Some questions were reasonable and I gave answers accordingly.  We are, after all, each accountable to someone or to a group.  Some criticism and actions did, I felt, cross the line of what is or is not appropriate.

As a pastor, I'm criticised for sermons, for grammar, for something I wrote, for something I did or did not do.  Sometimes the criticisms are right on target and I apologize for my actions.  Sometimes, I have to refuse to apologize and stand my ground.

I was told by a small town high school coach once that the only people who needed thicker skin than a coach of a high school in a small town was the pastor.

McCabe signed a wedding license for a gay couple.  She participated in a gay wedding.  She knew what she was doing and knew that it may have crossed the line of church law -- she certainly knew that she would be held accountable and have to explain her actions.

Did the criticism of McCabe go too far?  As I read the article in the Presbyterian Outlook, I think not.  Oh sure, there may have been a few individuals who spoke too emotionally or irrationally.  A few may have crossed the line.  But to be a pastor means you have to have thick skin.  To be a moderator or vice moderator of the General Assembly requires even thicker skin.

My view is that by resigning, McCabe will continue to be in the spotlight and will be more crirtized than ever before.

My speculation is that there is more to it than we know.  McCabe made what she thougth was the best decision for herself and the church, and we should continue to keep her in prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment